Dog owner warns others of baiting

LEETON’S Zoe Cherry came very close to losing her best friend this week. 

Miss Cherry’s loveable pooch Lazerro became very ill on Tuesday. It is believed the active and playful animal had been deliberately poisoned. 

Miss Cherry discovered the frighteningly sick Lazerro onTuesday and required help to get him into her vehicle to rush to a veterinary clinic in Wagga. Thankfully for Miss Cherry, Lazerro is on the mend, but it will be a long recovery process. 

“The vet said it could take up to three months for him to return to normal,” she said. “He’s definitely improved, but it has been really scary.”

The matter has been reported to police and Miss Cherry was hopeful her story, while heart wrenching at the time, would ensure others in Leeton would be on the look out for such behaviour. 

“There’s not a lot you can do to stop it, but people should be aware of what happens to their animals if they have been poisoned,” she said. 

Both the Leeton Veterinary Clinic and Mivet Leeton have had animals admitted in recent weeks that have ingested poison. 

It is likely this has occurred by animals eating things like rait bait or snail bait. Veterinarian Brian Munro urged residents to try and keep their animals away from these types of materials if possible. 

“There are mice around, nothing like what we had in the big plague a while back, but people are still using baits for the ones that are in their homes or around them,” he said. 

“We have had some animals come in because they’ve ingested these materials.” If residents believe their animal has ingested a poisonous substance they should visit their nearest vet. 


Discuss "Dog owner warns others of baiting"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.