MISSING links will be fixed and new construction started on footpaths in the shire within the coming months.
New footpaths are set to be constructed at several locations in the shire before the end of the current financial year, according to Leeton Shire Council.
The areas up for improvement will be:
- Cudgel Street, Yanco - Missing Link from School entrance to bus bay.
- Ash Street - New footpath and kerb ramps on the eastern side of the road.
- Cedar Street - North of Pine Avenue.
- Cedar Street - North of Pine Avenue, eastern side between Sycamore Street and Pine Avenue.
- Upgrade of 10 standard and four non-standard medium/high priority kerb ramps as part of the draft Pedestrian Access and Mobility Plan (PAMP).
Council road safety officer Stephanie Puntoriero said the work would be going ahead shortly and is expected to cost around $200,000.
That money was approved within council’s 2018-19 budget.
“The footpaths outlined for completion have been selected based on the findings within the draft PAMP Plan, the associated Roads and Martime Services priority score, cost estimates of the works and whether, at a particular location, the works will complete footpath linkages and/or improved pedestrian access/use in that area,” Mrs Puntoriero said.
The footpaths listed are to be constructed as a footpath only with a width of between 1.2 metres and 1.5 metres.
Council has also made application to the NSW government’s 2019-20 Active Transport Funding round with a view to achieving 2.5 metres paths in future years.
Funds have been sought to:
- Survey and design paths in Wattle Hill including Washington Drive
- Survey and design a path in Almond Road
- Construct a 2.5 metre shared path from Park Avenue to Lilac Avenue to finish the link around Parkview Public School.
Council has yet to be notified if funding has been granted for these projects.
While you’re with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox every Friday at 6am from The Irrigator. To make sure you’re up to date with all news in Leeton sign up here.