A DAY on the golf course may have been shorter than usual, but it was for a good cause.
Big hole golf was held at the Leeton course on Sunday to raise funds for Gralee School, but also provide golfers of all abilities with a new challenge.
The concept has taken off in Leeton as an annual event, thanks to the eight-inch holes, which make it easier to sink a putt or two.
Sixty starters took to the challenge, with the Celi Group presenting $4000 to the school at the end of the day.
Raffles and several barbecues also helped contributed to the final tally, as well as keeping players refreshed.
"Graeme Dale tore the course apart with an eight under par 64 off the bat," Leeton golf professional Jason Mimmo said.
"Sam Cirillo was a popular ladies winner.
"Five sub juniors took part on the day with Cruze Dale and Jude Clayton featuring in the non-handicap section.
Players comments centered around leaving the big holes in for good, much preferring the easier putting and the pace of play was quick."
A presentation was held at the end of the event, with the school expressing its gratitude to organisers and sponsors for their generosity.
The school will use the money to provide vital resources and equipment for students and staff.
- Men's A (0-18) winner: Graeme Dale 47 points
- Men's A runner-up: Shane McInnes 45 points
- Men's A third: David Doig 44 points
- Men's B (19-36) winner: Gordon Smith 46 points
- Men's B runner-up: Shane Smith 43 points countback
- Men's B third: John Martin 43 points c/b
- Ladies winner: Sam Cirrillo 44 points
- Ladies runner-up: Joan Dartnell 42 points
- Ladies third: Kath Meagher 41 points c/b
- Non-handicap winner: Gerrard Smms 47 points
- Non-handicap runner-up: Cruze Dale 46 points c/b
- None-handicap third: Jude Clayton 46 points
- Nearest the pin: 4th Scott Turner, 6th Jono Schofield, 13th John Hill, 15th Graeme Dale
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox every Friday at 6am from The Irrigator. To make sure you're up to date with all news in Leeton sign up here.