THE Group 20 season is done and dusted before it was even given the chance to go ahead this year thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After weeks of waiting to see what restrictions would be lifted and what that would mean for clubs, the decision was finally made on Monday night to cancel this year's competition.
Yanco-Wamoon and Hay were the only two clubs who voted in favour of the season going ahead, with all other clubs against the competition being played this year.
Their reasons were many and varied for the season not to proceed, including the shortening of the competition, volunteers being put at risk, no sponsors, whether or not crowds could attend and so on.
It was a difficult decision, but most are now relieved to know one way or the other, according to Group 20 operations manager Rocci DiSalvatore.
"The rules and restrictions the clubs would have to do to get a game going was quite a lot of work ... it got down to volunteers and people who could help," he said.
"They just don't have enough people or the people they do have are in that high-risk category of catching the virus. You don't want to be putting them at risk.
"I think for many clubs as well players were losing interest because there's been so much uncertainty.
"There was no guarantee you could have a crowd either. A lot of players also didn't want to be risking their jobs either."
While Group 20 is not proceeding this year, neighbouring competition Group 9 is. Several clubs have withdrawn from that competition which could pave the way for Yanco-Wamoon and Hay to enter into that draw.
However, that is just a possibility at this stage and nothing has been put into writing regarding that concept.
There is also a chance players from Group 20 wanting to play football this season could put their hand up for a Group 9 club on a "loan basis", but they would be required to return to their nominated club in 2021.
The ProTen Community Cup could also provide another option for Yanco-Wamoon and Hay.
This competition currently has three teams willing to take to the field in 2020.
Yanco-Wamoon Football Club president Craig Higgins said the Hawks had been happy to play this season.
"We were in favour of playing, but we know how hard it was going to be as well," he said.
"We'll look at the options now to see if there is somewhere we can play, whether that's Group 9 or ProTen. I don't really expect the boys to be travelling all that way for Group 9, especially when you can't shower after a game.
"If ProTen happens, that could be a goer, but we'll wait and see."
Last week the Leeton Greens were keeping their cards close to their chest in what should have been their 100th anniversary season.
In the end, Leeton also voted for the season not to go ahead this year.
Volunteers was one of their main reasons, with the club unwilling to put them at risk.
"It's not that it was too hard, there's just too many complications with it," club president Bill Arnold said.
"A lot of our volunteers are in that age risk category and we don't want to put their health at risk.
"We'll reset now for next season.
"Hopefully we might have some family fun days and fundraisers as a club towards the end of the year just to get everyone together."
Arnold was aware some of his players had already been contacted by Group 9 clubs.
"I don't have an issue with it for boys wanting to have a game," he said.
"The rule will be they have to come back here should they do that, so you can't tell them no."