Victorians hoping to snag one of the government's $200 vouchers designed to encourage tourism were left in the lurch after the website crashed within minutes of applications opening.
Vouchers were available from 10am this morning, but when the time came the business.vic.gov website displayed an internal server error message.
As of 11am the website was no longer showing the internal server error, but residents were still unable to apply for the vouchers.
Some users reported the apply now button was missing from the page, while others who had the button received an 'unable to process' message upon clicking it.
Applications will open on Friday for tourists to get their hands on a limited number of $200 vouchers to travel in regional Victoria.
Premier Daniel Andrews and Tourism Minister Martin Pakula first announced the voucher scheme during a visit to the King Valley last month, and Mr Pakula released more information on Thursday.
There will be 120,000 vouchers available across the whole scheme, but only 40,000 will be allocated today for the first of three time period - for holidays booked between December 12 and January 22.
"For this first tranche, I would certainly expect demand to outstrip supply, that's been the experience in other parts of the country," Mr Pakula said.
"If people miss out on the first round, they'll be eligible to apply for the second and third round"
He said the government was "not handing out $200 up front" and would require the lucky voucher holders to prove they were eligible before getting the money.
This would involve receipts to show they had stayed in accommodation for at least two nights, were not from interstate, were over 18 and no one else in their household had been granted a voucher in the past.
The North East was initially promoted as a place tourists could visit, when the scheme was launched last month, but there is no requirement for tourist to visit certain regions.
The first 40,000 vouchers will be available on the Business Victoria website from 10am today.
"It is a first come, first served basis," Mr Pakula said.
"It's a perfect opportunity to enjoy an extra night's accommodation on the weekend getaway or experience one of our many tours and attractions."
He said he and his family had holidayed in regional Victoria over the past year, including to the King Valley before the pandemic.
"Last summer we went to Whitfield, but had to evacuate due to the bushfires," he said.
Registrations will open for round 2 of the voucher scheme on January 20 and for round 3 on March 30.