The start date for daily Qantas flights between Griffith and Sydney has been pushed back to March 1.
The newly-announced route was originally slated to begin on February 1, but uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 situation in Sydney has caused it to be pushed back.
A flurry of positive cases hit the state capital late last year, and while there have been no new cases in NSW over the past few days, the state government is still urging caution.
Any Griffith residents who had purchased tickets to fly on the route in February will be contacted by the airline regarding rearrangements or refunds.
General Manager of Griffith City Council, Brett Stonestreet, said council accepts the decision to delay the start date.
"Council understands that the COVID Pandemic is causing unexpected disruptions in Sydney and elsewhere which has implications for airlines," he said.
"Every assurance has been provided that the airline is committed to commencing services in March, subject of course to no further unexpected outbreaks."
It was announced in December, that a 50-seater Qantas plane will offer trips to and from Sydney every day of the week.
The new flights came as part of an expansion to the airline's regional network, with seven other routes also added to their network.
New Qantas routes from Melbourne to Merimbula and Melbourne to Newcastle flights were also meant to start on February 1, and have been pushed back to March, following concerns over state borders.
There are currently existing flights between Griffith and Sydney operated by Regional Express Airlines.
IN OTHER NEWS: