There are no rodent baits that you can use that are safe for pets. We need to tell you that because there is a lot of misinformation out there. Baits are designed to kill.
That is their sole purpose and they are non-discriminatory when it comes to what is being poisoned.
With the mouse plague, we are seeing an increase in pets being accidentally poisoned with mouse baits.
This is happening either the pet eats the bait directly or when the pet eats a poisoned mouse either alive or dead.
We have been treating at least two pets a week since the end of 2020 for rat bait poisonings.
Most of the pets we are seeing are being affected with the secondary poisoning and a few of the owners of the pets, are not even using baits at their residence.
In these cases, the poisoned mice are making their way to neighbouring properties and being eaten.
With a lot of the modern baits, the residue of bait in the rodent's stomach is the cause of the toxicity. Often this occurs when an affected mouse, falls victim to a dog or cat or to a bird of prey such as an owl.
With the most common baits being based on anticoagulants like warfrin, an antidote is available to treat your pet.
Some other baits available, unfortunately, do not have an antidote and although supportive treatment can be given, often these leave long term health problems such as kidney damage or neurological problems.
So be sure to be vigilant if you are using baits at your home.
If you are using baits, ensure they are where your pets can not access them and always remove any dead rodents promptly.