South Australia's plan to ease border restrictions and local COVID-19 measures when vaccine targets are reached is close to being finalised, Police Commissioner Grant Stevens says.
The state's transition committee met on Tuesday and made no changes to SA's current restrictions, including mask-wearing in venues such as shopping centres and on public transport.
Hard border closures with NSW, Victoria and the ACT also remain.
Mr Stevens said the release of the plan was "days away", but the dates for any changes taking place would still be dependent on SA reaching its 80 per cent double vaccination target.
SA is expected to reach that level in early December, despite only 59.4 per cent of those aged 16 and over having had their two doses so far.
The plan is also dependent on the latest modelling of projected case numbers when border rules are relaxed.
"It is imminent. I can't be specific about when it will be available," the commissioner said.
"It is days away. (But) when I say days it doesn't mean within seven days.
"I'm confident we'll have something locked away soon, but I'm not putting a timeframe on it.
"It's sooner than later and I know people want to see what that looks like so we're keen to get it out."
As part of the plan, the isolation of people with COVID-19 will continue along with their close contacts.
However, the double vaccinated are likely to have more latitude when it comes to quarantine requirements.
Mr Stevens said the transition committee also continued to work on preparedness for when virus cases emerged in SA, to ensure it could accommodate those people who would need hospital care.
"It would be foolish of us to simply lift the borders and have no regard for those people who are still going to be adversely affected by COVID-19," he said.
"We've got to look after everybody in South Australia."
SA Health reported one new virus case on Tuesday in a returned overseas traveller.
The state currently has eight active infections, all being managed in hotel quarantine.
Australian Associated Press