MIA revelers will no longer be travelling to Wagga's Mardi Gras, with the event cancelled 24 hours out from the event.
The threat of coronavirus is deemed too great for large-scale events to go ahead in the city.
Wagga City Council held a press conference on Friday to speak on the future of large-scale events scheduled in the city over the next few months.
The Mardi Gras, which was due to kick off on Saturday afternoon, is the first cab off the rank in a long list of big name events in the next several weeks that won't go ahead.
Mayor Greg Conkey was joined by Council's general manager Peter Thompson, Wagga Mardi Gras organiser Holly Conroy and Wagga MP Joe McGirr.
"We have made the very, very difficult decision this morning to not hold all mass gatherings where people come from outside the region," Cr Conkey said.
"This includes the Wagga Mardi Gras, the Food and Wine Festival in a couple of weeks and we're also looking at the Raiders game in April, and possibly having the match in Wagga but without spectators.
"We know this will have a major economic impact on the city, but the safety of the community must take precedence."
An update from Murrumbidgee Local Health District issued at 12.48pm confirmed there are no known cases of COVID-19 across the district.
Watch the full press conference:
Cr Conkey said it was becoming clear that "it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when the first case (of COVID-19) will be detected" and that there were concerns that "large numbers of people from outside Wagga gathering here create a greater risk."
The strain such an outbreak would put on the city's health resources was a factor in making the call to cancel the events, Cr Conkey said.
"The more people we have coming from outside the city poses a significant risk and we need to mitigate this risk," he said.
"It would be nice if the federal and state governments came o n board and made some stronger statements than what they're making. We're doing ... the responsible thing, we believe, for this city, we need to protect the residents of this city."
The Melanoma March around Lake Albert was meant to take place on Sunday, however organisers made the call on Friday morning to cancel remaining events around the country.
The annual Wagga Food and Wine Festival, a highlight on the annual events calendar that is expected to draw 3000 people to the civic precinct on March 28,
The NRL's return to Wagga is now a question mark. The Canberra Raiders were due to host Newcastle Knights for their round six clash at Equex on April 18.
Anzac Day commemorations will fall a week later and just a week after that, another 10,000 people were due for the biggest date on the city's calendar, the Wagga Gold Cup.
Dr McGirr said the decision was disappointing for the region, the organisers and the community, however he supported council's proactive approach.
"It's pretty clear from the health professional's point of view that there's a high level of concern we control the rate of spread of the coronavirus, it's important that we have a slow spread and we prevent it where possible," he said.
"As long as we continue to be proactive, then we can limit the impact of this illness and bounce back effectively. Together we will get through this.
"This decision the council has taken is about mass gatherings involving people coming from outside the region, and I think that is a good step at this stage to limit the spread of the illness."
Ms Conroy was disappointed at the event's cancellation but urged those already in town to make Friday night their own mardi gras.
"We listened to the advice of health officials. We know this is a precautionary measure in the current situation," Ms Conroy said.
"We are positive about the long-term future of this event, and tonight we want to celebrate our diversity at our show which is still going ahead at Que Bar.
"Tonight will be our Wagga Mardi Gras. If people are disappointed Mardi Gras is not going ahead then come along and support the show."
Dr McGirr urged the community to heed health warnings and do their part to limit the spread of coronavirus, while continuing to support local businesses that will be hurting in the wake of the cancellations.
Nationals MLC Wes Fang said on Friday morning the health ministry reached broad agreement that any event with more than 100 attendees had to be "seriously reconsidered" in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
He had lobbied council to postpone the Mardi Gras, saying it presented an unacceptable level of risk.
"This decision has not been made lightly, however protecting the health of our dedicated community members and their families who run and attend these events, many of whom are cancer patients, is paramount," said Melanoma Institute CEO Matthew Browne.
"We will be offering full refunds for registrations, and will provide further information shortly regarding that process."